Thursday, July 17, 2008

Emmy Fever


The nominations for the 60th annual Prime time Emmy Awards were announced today and there were some surprises, though many of the usual suspects were there as well. Here's a partial list:

Outstanding Drama Series

  • Boston Legal
  • Damages
  • Dexter
  • House
  • Lost
  • Mad Men

Outstanding Comedy Series

  • Curb Your Enthusiasm
  • Entourage
  • The Office
  • 30 Rock
  • Two and a Half Men

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series

  • Kristin Chenoweth, Pushing Daisies
  • Jean Smart, Samantha Who?
  • Amy Poehler, Saturday Night Live
  • Holland Taylor, Two and a Half Men
  • Vanessa Williams, Ugly Betty

    Outstanding Reality Program

  • Antiques Roadshow
  • Dirty Jobs
  • Extreme Makeover Home Edition
  • Intervention
  • Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List

Outstanding Reality-Competition Program

  • The Amazing Race
  • American Idol
  • Dancing With the Stars
  • Project Runway
  • Top Chef

Outstanding Host for a Reality or Reality-Competition Program

  • Ryan Seacrest, American Idol
  • Tom Bergeron, Dancing With the Stars
  • Howie Mandel, Deal Or No Deal
  • Heidi Klum, Project Runway
  • Jeff Probst, Survivor

    Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Series

  • The Colbert Report
  • The Daily Show With Jon Stewart
  • Late Show With David Letterman
  • Real Time With Bill Maher
  • Saturday Night Live.
(Source EOnline)
You can find a full list of the nominees here. None of this was terribly surprising to me. I haven't really gotten in to Mad Men, but it set a record for the most nominations for a cable network. I've heard its a great show, so I may have to rent the first season and check it out. I was super excited that 30 Rock came in with a record setting 17 nominations, the most a comedy series has ever gotten. Despite having most of the cast on the Emmy shortlist, Desperate Housewives came away with zero nominations. Which is really too bad since what I've seen of this past season is the best the show has been since it started. I think the writer's strike really messed things up for some shows. Heroes, for instance, got zero nominations as well probably due to a rocky start of a season that was abruptly cut off because of the strike. One thing that did surprise, not to mention delight me, were the nominees in the Outstanding Original Music and Lyrics, a category I've never paid attention to before. Check it out:

Outstanding Original Music And Lyrics

  • Disney Phineas and Ferb, Song: “I Ain’t Got No Rhythm”
  • Flight of the Conchords, Song: “The Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room)”
  • Flight of the Conchords, Song: “Inner City Pressure”
  • Jimmy Kimmel Live, Song: “I’m F***ing Matt Damon”
  • MADtv, Song: “Sad Fitty Cent”
(Source Eonline)
I have already expressed my love for the
Sarah Silverman viral video "I'm F***ing Matt Damon" so I won't repeat myself. However, I have yet to express my love for The Flight of the Conchords. This show is absolutely brilliant and hysterical. If you haven't seen it yet, hurry and rent season one before season two starts! And "The Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room)" was actually the first song I ever heard from them. My friend Megan (who used to be our news director here at the station before she moved on to bigger and better things) made me watch about twelve You Tube videos of these guys and "The Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room) was the first one I saw. I think its one of their best too, but that's just my opinion. "Inner City Pressure" is pretty awesome too, especially with the accompanying video! I don't know what Disney Phineas and the Ferb is and I must have missed the episode of MADtv that the nominated song is from. But even if I had seen the other two nominees, I would still be rooting for the Conchords!
Or Sarah Silverman. Because, lets face it, she's had a rough week. Here's the story on her:
For Sarah Silverman, this has been a week of good news and bad news. First, the bad: On Monday, it was reported, she and boyfriend of five years, Jimmy Kimmel broke up. Now, the good: On Thursday Silverman, 37, was one of those lucky enough to be nominated for an Emmy. But, now for the weird news: the TV Academy nod is linked to what she did on ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live!, an over-the-top music video in which she and the Sexiest Man Alive flaunted their (fictitious and funny) affair to Kimmel, all set to music in a ditty titled, "I'm F------ Matt Damon". The Emmy nominating committee clearly liked what it heard. Silverman is up for the gold in the category of outstanding original music and lyrics, along with her fellow writer-composers on the ditty Tony Barbieri, Wayne McClammy, Sal Iacono, and Dan Warner. (Source People Online)
If it wasn't for my love of Flight of the Conchords, I would be cheering Sarah Silverman on more. Maybe she'll win the other award she's nominated for. The Emmy's will be handed out on September 21. May the best people win. And by best, I mean the people I want to win. (I'm rooting for you Alec Baldwin!)
Later!

No comments: