Tuesday, May 13, 2008

TV might not suck next fall!

So we're about two days in to the network upfront week in New York, which is where the top five networks (NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, and the CW)reveal their fall schedules to the major advertisers. Usually this is the time when we find out which new shows are actually going to be on next season and which old shows aren't. NBC went first, but since they revealed their new schedule over a month ago(as I previously blogged about)there really weren't any surprises there. The only interesting thing they did was to confirm what everyone already knew, that Jimmy Fallon will be taking over for Conan O'Brien next year when Conan takes over for Jay Leno. Here's the scoop on that one:

Jimmy Fallon will be the new Conan O'Brien, who will be the new Jay Leno.
As for the old Jay Leno? That's for another press conference.
Today it was NBC announcing what had been long suspected, and outright leaked: that Fallon will assume O'Brien's Late Night hosting chair once O'Brien assumes Leno's Tonight Show hosting next year. "It's a comedian's dream to get this job, to work with writers and try to be funny every night," Fallon said from NBC's fabled "30 Rock" headquarters, where he used to star on Saturday Night Live, and where he'll star on Late Night.
Late Night executive producer Lorne Michaels said the Fallon era "probably" will begin in the first six months of 2009. (source E Online)

Congrats to Jimmy for the plush new job. This move has been speculated about for a while now, but at least its confirmed now. I'm not really in to traditional late night shows (I'm more of a Daily Show kind of girl myself) but I've always enjoyed the stuff that Conan has come up with. Here's hoping Jimmy has what it takes to fill those rather large shoes. (Seriously, Conan's like 7 feet tall, isn't Jimmy kind of short?) So that's what's up with NBC, lets move on.

ABC has also announced their fall line, which is basically the same line up they announced last year with one or two additions. This is what its looking like over at the alphabet network for fall:

Sunday: America's Funniest Home Videos, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, Desperate Housewives, Brothers & Sisters

Monday: Dancing With the Stars, Samantha Who?, Boston Legal

Tuesday: Opportunity Knocks, Dancing With the Stars, Eli Stone

Wednesday: Pushing Daisies, Private Practice, Dirty Sexy Money

Thursday: Ugly Betty, Grey's Anatomy, Life on Mars

Friday: Wife Swap, Supernanny, 20/20

Saturday: Saturday Night College Football (source E Online)


In news that made me a little giddy with relief, ABC also announced that it would be picking up Scrubs from NBC to start mid-season, along with shows like Lost and According To Jim. I have no issues with this particular line up, I mainly watch NBC anyway, so I was mainly concerned with Scrubs and Pushing Daisies (which I was just starting to get into when the writer's strike went and messed with everything!). But I know a lot of big Grey's Anatomy, Ugly Betty and Lost fans out there who will be pretty estatic about their shows basically remaining in the same time and place. Not that any of those shows were in danger of being canceled, but you never know how the networks will mess with their schedules. It always takes a few weeks in the fall to get used to my favorite shows in new time slots and days.

The rest of the networks will be announcing their lineups throughout the rest of the week, with the CW making their announcements tonight. There's lots of rumors going around about what they've got in store for tonight, but the rumors I am most interested in are the ones surrounding The Reaper and the new 90210 spin off. I never watched 90210 when it was actually on the air, but I know so many people who were totally obsessed with it that I have managed to catch a rerun or two here and there (the show is on 20 times a day it seems like). My sister and mother were way in to the original, so I'm curious to see how the spin off does.

I'm trying something a little different for this week's posts. Instead of just posting on Tuesday and Friday, I'll be doing short posts all week as the networks announce their schedules. If anything non-TV related comes up that I feel needs to be talked about, I'll throw that in too. Fun times right? That's all this redhead has to say about that. At least for now.

Later!

No comments: