Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Earth Day Earthlings! The News is Slow.


Its Earth Day! The day when everyone remembers that we're killing our planet and resolves to be nicer to it, only to forget again tomorrow. I'm not judging, believe me, I'm just as bad as the next person, but lately I've been trying to be better and it didn't even take a holiday to remind me to do it, so I guess I'm feeling a bit smug. I'll take myself down a few notches now and just hope that everyone is having a good day and that we all at least think about being nicer to the planet today.
On to things less irritating than my opinions. Or maybe they're more irritating, depending on your views of pop culture. But if you aren't a fan of celebrity gossip, why are you reading this blog? That just seems redundant. (I really just wanted to work the word redundant into a sentence) So here we go, here's today's gossip update.

There isn't much today, but I haven't discussed Lindsay Lohan on this blog yet, because she's been pretty well behaved lately. I guess I was hoping she had turned her life around after this last rehab stint. I guess I was wrong. Reports are rampant on the web about her rather public fall of the wagon this past weekend:
Is Lindsay Lohan back to her hard-partying ways? The actress – who completed a stint in Cirque Lodge rehab last September – is raising eyebrows again after she was spotted on Saturday drinking Grey Goose and Red Bull cocktails at a party deejayed by pal Samantha Ronson. Lohan, 21, smoked cigarettes, chatted with friends and hit the dance floor at Hawaiian Tropic Zone in New York as Ronson spun tunes until 4 a.m. Lohan's rep was not immediately available for comment. (source: People)
Many of you will remember the this is not the first time LiLo has fallen off the wagon since her latest stint in rehab, but the last time was over three months ago, so I was hoping she'd gotten it out of her system. Maybe this time will be that time. I hope she gets back on the wagon again. It can't be easy to have the world watching your recovery, but I hope she sticks to it. Once upon a time she was talented, its sad what addiction has done to her.

On to other, happier news, it seems that the rumored marriage of Beyonce and Jay-Z may actually be true!
BeyoncĂ© and Jay-Z are mum, but their paperwork is doing the talking for them: The couple filed their signed wedding license Friday in Scarsdale, N.Y., PEOPLE has confirmed exclusively. Scarsdale Town Clerk Donna Conkling tells PEOPLE the license – which lists the wedding date as April 4 – was received on Friday afternoon. The couple applied for the license just three days before the ceremony attended by friends and family, including BeyoncĂ©'s mother Tina Knowles, her father/manager Mathew, her sister Solange, her Destiny's Child pals Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams, and the couple's friend Gwyneth Paltrow. (source: People)
I so knew that they had gotten married. I understand the need for secrecy and privacy and all of that, but they had to know that magazines like People and US Weekly were going to be hounding the courts until that signed license went through. Official congrats to the newlyweds!

Less happy news comes from Ritchie Sambora, who was totally busted on a DUI a while ago and has now been formally charged.
Richie Sambora was formally charged with DUI, the Orange County, Calif., District Attorney's office announced Tuesday – but he avoided a misdemeanor child endangerment count. If convicted, the Bon Jovi guitarist faces a maximum penalty of six months in jail. His arraignment is set for May 7. The Laguna Beach Police had recommended that Sambora be charged with misdemeanor child endangerment, but prosecutors declined to pursue that charge. Sambora, 48, was arrested in Laguna Beach on March 25 after police spotted him driving unsteadily in a Hummer H2. His blood alcohol level was tested at .13. (The California legal limit is .08). In the car was Sambora's girlfriend, Jenn Mallini, his daughter, Ava, 10 (whose mother is Sambora's ex-wife Heather Locklear), and her teenage cousin.
You know that he's going to get off with a slap on the wrist and a fine. Unless this is his second offense, he's not likely to get jail time like Kiefer Sutherland.

Here's another story that concerned me today, not because its scandalous or anything like that, it just seems so stupid. It seems that Miley Cyrus, she of Hannah Montana world dominance, is now writing a memoir. Check it out:

Miley Cyrus is coming to a bookstore near you: The 15-year-old actress and singer is writing her memoirs.
The book, to be published by Disney next spring, will center on Cyrus' rise to fame and the guidance of her mother, Leticia. It will also include unseen family photos.
"I hope to motivate mothers and daughters to build lifetimes of memories together and inspire kids around the world to live their dreams, I am so excited to let fans in on how important my relationship with my family is to me," the Hannah Montana star added. (source: US Weekly)

Wow. Seriously. Wow. I think that I am literally speechless from the amount that my IQ dropped just contemplating a tome of that degree of idiocy. The girl is 15, what life has she lived? While I understand that she's accomplished a lot in the 15 years her daddy's been using her as a tool for his comeback, what is the point in writing a memoir? Its just another thing Disney will use to gouge little girls and their parent's out of an extra $20 ($10 if they deign to release it in paperback). I'm not a Miley hater, honestly I've never even seen nor heard a note from Hannah Montana, but it just seems pointless for a 15 year old girl to write a memoir unless she's actually had a life, like Drew Barrymore did in Little Girl Lost. That girl had some issues to work out! What does Miley have? A zit? Cramps? Her mommy won't let her host the CMT awards until she's finished her homework?

And finally, in honor of Earth Day, here's a celebrity who hasn't fallen off the wagon, got a DUI, or is writing an idiotic memoir, but is trying to do something good for the planet and make a few extra bucks in the meantime.
Sandra Bullock is doing her part for the environment with a line of soy wax candles. The actress taped an appearance on The Oprah Winfrey Show – scheduled to air Tuesday – to commemorate Earth Day. During her time with Oprah Winfrey, the actress revealed, "I started researching and you find out about lead wicks and chemicals in your candles." Her solution? To use soy wax, which is a "renewable resource." Said Winfrey: "Sandra's in the earth-friendly candle making business," prompting a laugh from the actress who joked: "Yeah, [it's] something to fall back on." (source: People)
Well, its not much, but at least she's trying. The woman lives in Texas, its not easy to be green in Texas. At least not where I lived in Texas. Plus she just got in a huge car accident!

So that's that campers, your redheaded rant of the day. Will I be back tomorrow or will I make you wait another week for my ironic witticisms? Well, it all depends on my mood.
Later

No comments: